Saturday, November 19, 2016

Chapter 41: The times for community meals


The principle is that the superior should manage everything so prudently that the saving work of grace may be accomplished in the community and whatever duties the community undertakes they may be carried out without any excuse for murmuring. (From para. 1 of Ch. 41 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I'm at my desk right now, reading the Rule, writing this blog, and planning my day on a little yellow sticky note, distracted by feeling behind and by things that need to get done. Is my guiding principle truly that the saving work of grace may be accomplished among my family, friends, community? Or is distraction murmuring at me? Practicing attention will bring me into God's sphere better than fretting will.

3 comments:

  1. As I begin the day I invite Jesus in. Pray for prudence in how I manage things and that grace will guide our every thought word and deed. Maranatha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is the Benedictine way - managing prudently all matters so that others may go about their activities without grumbling. But "grumbling" can be a result of not having enough groceries in the refrigerator that are healthy and nurturing, of not having the household organized enough to take care of inhabitants and untimely guests well, of not spending enough time at home to be aware of irregularities, of not "doing common things with uncommon conscientiousness"(Chittister, p.194). I believe that the regularity of the meditation practice helps me to be more aware of taking care of those who are closest to me and who can easily be forgotten by the "glamor" of outside activities.

    ReplyDelete

  3. "The first principle of Benedictinism, too, is to do what must be done with special care and special zeal so that doing it can change our consciousness and carve our souls into the kind of beauty that comes from simple things." (Joan Chittister). With the gifts of meditation, the mantra, the community of love, and this Rule, Abba, you are changing my consciousness. Carve me into that work of art that pleases you, Father. Teach me and make me a humble part of the beauty of simple things.

    ReplyDelete