Thursday, November 17, 2016

Chapter 39: The amount of food to be made available


We must always be careful, however, to avoid excessive eating which might also cause indigestion. Nothing so so opposed to Christian values as overeating, as we can see from the words of our Lord: take care that your hearts are not weighed down by overeating. (From para. 2 of Ch. 39 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

"Nothing is so opposed to Christian values as overeating"  -- this might be hyperbole on Benedict's part, but I've come to think not.  My body must be as relaxed and alert for prayer as my mind and my heart.

3 comments:

  1. As the soul is fueled by the Spirit, the body, the temple of the HOly Spirit, is fueled by the food we ingest. I feel more calm and my digestion works well when I eat whole, fresh, simple foods; slowly,in moderation, chewing the food well, w/ a reflective, peacefull state of mind. I like to imagine Jesus at the table with me and I contemplate His manner and peace as he eats. Even when there is a lot of commotion at our family table, I can set a tone of attentive awareness...that is, Christ in me. Simplicity, moderation, and gratitude are on the menu. Good to remember as we approach the Thanksgiving feast +♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. It often seems that the path to Christ is a tightrope; thankfully with the safety net of his forgiveness when we fall. Balance, moderation, equanimity comprise the 'bar' that we hold as we tread His narrow path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Some devils can only be cast out by prayer and fasting”, Jesus pointed out. That includes the fatal devil of overeating, that is, food addiction, as some moderns call this root of today’s obesity epidemic. Our consumer society tells me, always, that I need, must, have more of everything. It promotes acquisitiveness as it kills me and destroys our planet. Meditation and the mantra restore my life as they remind me that, just as I am in your eyes, Abba, I am enough, I have enough, I do enough.

    ReplyDelete