Thursday, November 24, 2016

Chapter 46: Faults committed elsewhere


Any member of the community who in the course of some work in the kitchen, in the stores, while fulfilling a service to others or in the bakery, the garden or the workshops or anywhere else does something wrong or happens to break or lose something or to be guilty of some other wrongdoing, must as soon as possible appear before the superior and the community with a voluntary admission of the failure and willing reparation for it. (From para. 1 of Ch. 46 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

For me, this passage poses an examination of conscience: is every task, every moment, every relationship an opportunity to work with love and gratitude?  Does my work mediate Christ's love for me, no matter how small the work seems?  Am I alert to the difference it makes to my consciousness, and to those around me?

3 comments:

  1. This passage invites me to stay aware of my thoughts words actions and interactions as I go about my day. When I falter and offend God self and/or others I can take ownership of my offense and make restitution for harms done. Through Gods mercy, i can pause, reestablish centered awareness in God and carry on. Maranatha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently, I have been contemplating the issue of self-loathing, which causes me to hide my mistakes and faults from others and from myself. Correction is misinterpreted as condemnation rather than loving acts designed to help me to grow. How can I love others as God love them if I do not love myself as God love me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I do and how I think affects everyone and everything around me and probably beyond. But I do not want to believe that but I see it happening. Anger at and with myself for example can result in inattentiveness with the handling of things in my world and the way I approach people. Benedict is asking for accountability. This can only come for me when I discover the truth about myself. Here is the need for honesty. Who am I really? Am I willing to have someone else help me to that discovery? “The only people who grow in truth are those who are humble and honest”. “Without these two qualities we don’t grow”.(Everything Belongs, Richard Rohr, p.120) Those are the qualities needed when I read Benedict’s words about dealing with matters “hidden in the conscience” in this chapter 46.

    ReplyDelete