Saturday, September 2, 2017

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 3)


However late, then, it may seem, let us rouse ourselves from lethargy. That is what the scripture urges on us when it says: the time has come for us to rouse ourselves from sleep. Let us open our eyes to the light that can change us into the likeness of God. Let our ears be alert to the stirring call of his voice crying to us every day: today, if you should hear his voice, do not harden your hearts. (From para. 3 of The Prologue to The Rule from Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I know that the transforming light is always with me, even as the smallest, unseen particles in the darkness. What could it mean for me to change into the likeness of God except to have faith in the existence of that light and attune myself to it? And to discover how, in every twist of fate, to be awake, to be love, to be free?

2 comments:

  1. "Today if you hear his voice harden not your hearts." I noticed how I have been resisting to new ideas. It's been a long time that I have completed reading a book. Except for the readings in the divine office, I have not opened my bible for a time that I couldn't anymore remember when it started. In short, I feel like my heart hardened to receive the grace of learning/listening. So, I am thankful that yesterday I receive the gift of this realization and now I am thankful for the gift of having a heart restored to a "listening heart." May God sustain me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hindus image the mind as a tree full of chattering monkeys swinging from one branch to another. How well that describes the compulsive preoccupation with trivia that goes on in my head, Abba, even and maybe especially when I stop to meditate. The mantra helps me to awaken from this nightmare, opening my eyes to your deifying light.

    ReplyDelete