Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Prologue to the Rule (paragraph 7)


Well then, brothers and sisters, we have questioned the Lord about who can dwell with him in his holy place and we have heard the demands he makes on such a one; we can be united with him there, only if we fulfil those demands. We must, therefore, prepare our hearts and our bodies to serve him under the guidance of holy obedience. (From para. 7 of The Prologue to the Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Through my sporadic efforts at self-control and discipline, I'm learning to be obedient in fulfilling the demands of love to myself, to others, to God. Meditation is the most incarnational form of prayer there is, gradually integrating my heart and my body in a fitness to serve.

1 comment:

  1. "And so we are going to establish a school for the service of the Lord..." Oh dear Lord, you remind me thru the rule that I am continuously learning. From moment to moment you change me. I pray that I will rejoice in those changes despite the discomfort that sometimes they brought to my earthly life. I pray for patience and perseverance in waiting for the time that your works in me be fulfilled. Amen

    ReplyDelete