Thursday, October 19, 2017

Chapter 16: The hours of the work of God during the day


The words of the psalm are: I have uttered your praises seven times during the day. We shall fulfil that sacred number of seven if at the times of Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline we perform the duty of our service to God, because it was of these day hours that the psalm said: I have uttered your praise seven times during the day. (From Ch. 16 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

How does the rhythm of the monastic hours fit into my life as a householder? As an Oblate, I try to say some part of the hours each day, usually Lauds or Compline. But even more importantly, I establish the rhythm of my day by an effort to be faithful to my twice-daily meditation. The practice of meditation is like the head of a river, I believe; it's the discipline from which the rest of my day can flow, and thus I'm given a way to keep time holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment