Sunday, October 29, 2017

Chapter 22: Sleeping arrangements for the community


In the morning, as they are getting up for the work of God, they should quietly give encouragement to those who are sleepy and given to making excuses for being late. (From para. 2 of Ch. 22 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Reading this passage I feel the tenderness of a supportive community.  I can be vulnerable (though sleepiness or weakness), and my brother or sister who is more awake (in one way or another) can affirm me in belongingness and growth.

1 comment:

  1. Each day a fresh call, a new invitation to adventure with you, Abba. You are not, nor do I have to be, a “stick-in-the-mud” as my sluggish, depressive ego, my “little me”, not infrequently suggests. Daily I awaken to you offering me a choice. I get to make a brand new decision to embrace and enjoy, put joy into, a brand new day. Just for today let’s do it together.

    ReplyDelete