Thursday, October 26, 2017

Chapter 19: Our approach to prayer


All of us, then, should reflect seriously on how to appear before the majesty of God in the presence of his angels. That will lead us to make sure that, when we sing in choir, there is complete harmony between the thoughts in our mind and the meaning of the words we sing. (From Ch. 19 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB,, 1997.)

An approach to prayer that demands complete harmony -- or, as I learn through meditation, an ever greater integration of all parts of my being in the heart. For me, this promises the discovery of an  angelic silence.

1 comment:

  1. “Love and suffering are a part of most human lives. Without doubt, they are the primary spiritual teachers more than any Bible, church, minister, sacrament, or theologian.” (Richard Rohr, “The Naked Now: thinking like the mystics think” Chap 16). I am grateful, Abba, for every bit of suffering I have met in my life since it has cracked my stubborn ego just enough to let that blinding flash of your love in. Meditation helps me keep it smashed.

    ReplyDelete