Monday, October 30, 2017

Chapter 23: Faults which deserve excommunication


If an individual in the community is defiant, disobedient, proud or given to murmuring or in any other way set in opposition to the holy Rule and contemptuous of traditions of the seniors, then we should follow the precept of our Lord. (From Ch. 23 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

By looking at the problems St Benedict identifies (defiance, disobedience, pride, murmuring, opposition, contempt) I can see that the greatest faults I can commit in community are qualities that undermine relationship. So, if I can accept appropriate discipline when I fail -- and sincerely examine my consciousness, and experience remorse -- perhaps my heart will become more open to love.

1 comment:

  1. Excommunication! Ultimately, excommunication begins with me, Abba. In your mercy you have taught me that I and my ego are the the principle agents of my excommunication. I excommunicate myself from you and my fellows when I lock myself up in my own head, when I intellectualize, when I isolate myself, let my “little me”, my ego take over. Ah, but what joy when, by your grace, my recurrent attack of my “terrible twos” ends and I once note settle into your loving, fatherly arms, happy to be your little one.

    ReplyDelete