Friday, July 13, 2012

Chapter 35: Weekly servers in the kitchen and at table (paragraphs 1-2)


All the vessels used in their service should be returned to the cellarer in a clean and sound condition. The cellarer can then pass them on to those taking up these duties with a reliable record of what has been returned and what has been issued again. 
(From paragraph 2 of Chapter 35 of Saint Benedict's Rule).

St. Benedict challenges me this morning to look at the spiritual dimensions of keeping "reliable records".  I understand that within the context of a community such attention to detail ("on things of no account an unaccountable zeal bestowing", as John Main would quote) encourages order and peace. I also understand that within a community or family there are a variety of personalities, some who seem more suited by nature to be "accountants", and some who are required by circumstances to be more involved with record-keeping than they might choose. St. Benedict urges me to look upon my involvement in these practical matters with discernment -- how do I do my work in a way that creates the best conditions for seeking God?



No comments:

Post a Comment