Sunday, July 22, 2012

Chapter 43: Late-comers for the work of God or in the refectory (paragraphs 1-3)


When the time comes for one of the Divine offices to begin, as soon as the signal is heard, everyone must set aside whatever they may have in hand and hurry as fast as possible to the oratory, but of course they should do so in a dignified way which avoids giving rise to any boisterous behaviour. The essential point is that nothing should be accounted more important than the work of God. 
(Para. 1 of Ch. 43 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Though Benedict is speaking specifically of the times for the Divine office here, I can easily apply this teaching to my understanding of times for meditation. Whether I'm sleepy, bored, busy, trying to solve other problems -- even if I don't feel like meditating -- I should set it all aside for the practice of selfless attention. This is the point at which loving discipline opens me to transformation -- far beyond what any "busy-ness" or problem-solving could accomplish.

2 comments:

  1. "Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God."

    I am always setting priorities in my life. Work, shopping, watching a game on TV. In the world of commercials and faux-news, there is very little calling on me to make God a priority.

    This is one of the benefits of a monastic community. There is at least one group continuously but gently whispering in my ear, "Remember your grounding. Be grounded in God."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is this "work of God"? It is prayer. it is meditation. It is meeting God now at this moment, and allowing God to work in me and through me in the world right now as I am. Giving into "frivolity" and dragging my feet means that I do not want to meet the God of the present moment and leave myself behind. It is too painful. I would rather live in the past where I know my comfortable self.

    ReplyDelete