Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Chapter 39: The amount of food to be made available


We must always be careful, however, to avoid excessive eating which might also cause indigestion. Nothing is so opposed to Christian values as overeating, as we can see from the words of our Lord: take care that your hearts are not weighed down by overeating. 
(From paragraph 2 of Chapter 39 of Saint Benedict's Rule.)

To me, this is a startling reminder of the sanctity of my body, even in regards to something as simple as eating, and the wholly incarnational reality of Christ's presence in my heart. 


1 comment:

  1. This chapter seems to me to be a continuation of chapter 38. Whereas 38 was telling us to be mindful of the intellectual nourishment we take in, this chapter is telling us to be mindful of the physical nourishment we take in. I say this after gobbling down a fistful of Fritos without even thinking about it. I don't think Benedict would be very impressed.

    ReplyDelete