Saturday, July 28, 2012

Chapter 48: Daily manual labour (paragraphs 1-2)


Idleness is the enemy of the soul. Therefore all the community must be occupied at definite times in manual labour and at other times in lectio divina. 
(From para. 1 of Ch. 48 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Idleness, for me, is not holy leisure -- idleness is like being stalled or stuck in my own daydreams, while my ego manages my consciousness in a dull-witted way. The significance of work, and prayer -- and leisure -- comes through transformation of consciousness. Benedict's point here, as I see it, is that transformation of consciousness comes about through faithful, loving discipline. Just in the same way as we are taught to say the mantra.

1 comment:

  1. "And if the circumstances of the place or their poverty should require that they themselves do the work of gathering the harvest,let them not be discontented; for then are they truly monastics when they live by the labor of their hands, as did our Fathers and the Apostles."

    Any work is holy if I approach it with reverence. My attitude is what makes a job holy or unholy.

    ReplyDelete