Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chapter 1: Four approaches to monastic life


For a rule of life [sarabaites] have only the satisfaction of their own desires. Any precept they think up for themselves and then decide to adopt they do not hesitate to call holy. Anything they dislike they consider inadmissible.
 (From para. 1 of Ch. 1 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I'm reminded of John Main's teaching that in practicing fidelity to the mantra and the times of twice-daily meditation, I don't also need to create all kinds of self-improving resolutions for myself. I can spare myself the anxiety of worrying about what practices to choose, for example, thinking: Should I spend this time meditating, or getting out and walking, and if I go walking, should I do power walking or contemplative walking?, and so on. This kind of thinking could end up entangling me in the satisfaction of my desires. From the poverty of the mantra flows a creative rhythm which will shape my day in the consciousness of the Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. A few of us are so fantastic, we need no Rule. A few of us are so pathetic that no Rule will help us. Most of us want to be good but need the discipline of a Rule. Benedict is for us.

    ReplyDelete