Thursday, September 6, 2012

Prologue to the Rule (paragraph 7)


We must, therefore, prepare our hearts and bodies to serve him under the guidance of holy obedience.
(From para. 7 of the Prologue to Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

As I understand it, meditation is the most incarnational form of prayer there is. In my heart, "the organ of love" as John Main calls it, all the parts of myself are harmonized and unified in the simple experience of being in the presence of Christ. Silence of the mind, stillness of the body, loving fidelity to the mantra -- the practice to which I strive to be obedient -- will gradually gather together my fragmented experience, and make me whole.

1 comment:

  1. Dwelling in the holy tent underlines the reality that I am on pilgrimage. The real stability is in the tent which is my heart. God is there present to me always. Meditation lets me slip into the tent and be attentive to Him anywhere and anytime with my little mantra.

    ReplyDelete