Monday, September 10, 2012

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraph 2)


However, it is also true that, if the flock has been unruly and disobedient and the superiors have done everything possible as shepherds to cure their vicious ways, then they will be absolved in the judgement of God and may say with the psalmist: I have not hidden your teaching in my heart; I have proclaimed your truth and the salvation you offer, but they despised and rejected me.
(From para. 1 of Ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I have not hidden your teaching in my heart: May the Lord grant me the grace to say this psalm in truth, firstly by the fruits of meditation, and also through my Oblate commitment to share the gift of meditation and the teaching of the community.

2 comments:

  1. I love this passage, because I can't help but picture an utterly frustrated abbot, throwing up his hands and saying to God, "Hey, I tried." I try to remember that the truth is proclaimed in my actions as well as by my words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our model for any position of authority is the loving mother, not the tyrannical father.

    ReplyDelete