Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chapter 3: Calling the community together for consultation (paragraphs 2-3)


Such is the appropriate way to conform to that precept of scripture: If you act always after hearing the counsel of others, you will avoid the need to repent of your decision afterwards.
(From para. 3 of Ch. 3 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I'm grateful when the Spirit inspires me with energy and initiative; it's come to feel like a very trustworthy partnership! And yet, I also know that to act within a loving community requires counsel, discernment, and patience, for the very reason that the movement must be of the Spirit, and not of my ego.

1 comment:

  1. "Follow the Rule", "reverence God" and "do everything with counsel". I feel as if I am sitting in Benedict's presence and am being taught how to live with others. Living in the love of God is the heart of my meditation practice, and Benedict gives me the practical road map that takes me out of the front door of my heart into the world and back again,home.

    ReplyDelete