Monday, May 20, 2013


Chapter 4: Guidelines for Christian and monastic good practice (paragraphs 3-5)


Don't let your actions be governed by anger nor nurse your anger against a future opportunity of indulging it.
(From para. 3 of Ch. 4 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I've experienced the raw, destructive power of anger -- my own, and that of others.  The strange image of "nursing anger" reveals for me the seductive qualities of the ego, trying to make me believe that a volatile, self-centered emotion could somehow be nurturing to me. Meditation helps me to recognize, and accept, an ego in need of transformation, and to grow in self-knowledge. Meditation also helps me to recognize who truly and tenderly dwells in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. "Speak the truth with heart and tongue." My heart and my tongue are like two knitting needles and the meditation practice is the knitting activity. As I meditate my heart and my tongue are brought closer together by the yarn which is Christ. Truth in words is the product whether on paper or in speech. My whole being becomes the truth, the reality of who I am.

    ReplyDelete