Sunday, May 26, 2013


Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 1-3)


The Word of God in scripture teaches us in clear and resounding terms that anyone who lays claim to a high position will be brought low and anyone who is modest in self-appraisal will be lifted up.
(From para. 1 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

"Anyone who is modest in self-appraisal will be lifted up", Benedict says. John Main teaches me that on the way to true self-knowledge (modest self-appraisal) I must learn, through meditation, to live out of the center of my being. In doing so, I must learn stability. "The essential stability is the reality of our own being", he says, "and how many are in touch with that?" (Silence and Stillness, p. 267)

2 comments:

  1. Humility it seems to me is the absence of unreal illusions about ourselves. The more we build our life on illusions, the more we need to be "dis-illusionsed" Isn't it wonderful that Life takes care of bursting many of these bubbles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, simplicity and humility go together. Meditation is to be simple, uncomplicated not special or specialized or unusual. This constant practice helps me to accept my simple humanity, my simple being and my simple way of life. My whole being can begin to accept the reality of Divine Love for me as a human being just as I am with my human foibles, loves and desires.

    ReplyDelete