Monday, May 27, 2013


Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 4)


The first step of humility is to cherish at all times the sense of awe with which we should turn to God. It should drive forgetfulness away...
(From para. 4 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

The first step of humility, it seems to me, is nothing less than continuous prayer! "To cherish at all times the sense of awe with which [I] should turn to God" is what the practice of meditation teaches me, little by little, day after day, for a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. "You were within me, but I was outside, and, it was there that I searched for you," St. Augustine said in his Confessions. With meditation I am constantly reminded of the God within, making time to meet Him over and over again amidst the swirling distractions that try to pull me away as I cling to my simple mantra.

    ReplyDelete