Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Chapter 65: The prior or prioress of the monastery (paragraph 1)


It has often happened that unfortunate conflicts have arisen in monasteries as a result of the appointment of a prior or prioress as second in authority to the superior. There have been instances when some of these officials have conceived out of an evil spirit of self-importance that they also are superiors and for that reason have assumed the powers of a tyrant, so that they encourage scandalous divisions in the community. (From para. 1 of Ch. 65 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

There have been instances when my ego has conceived out of an evil spirit of self-importance that it is also a superior and for that reason has assumed the powers of a tyrant, so that it encourages scandalous divisions in my heart. The way to integrity is the way of the mantra.

2 comments:

  1. Abba, help me to become a source of peace and not conflict in the monastery without walls that is my family, nuclear and extended. Like St. Francis, I pray that you make me a channel of your peace and love and pardon and faith and hope and joy to whomever I meet today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conflicts within and outside of me often happened when I (and my little me, my ego) seek a place of importance. Where in fact I rightfully belong to stay at the most peaceful and loving place, the feet of my Master, my Lord Jesus.

    ReplyDelete