Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Chapter 72: The good spirit which should inspire monastic life


By following this path they try to be first to show respect to one another with the greatest patience in tolerating weaknesses of body or character. (From Ch. 72 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Why can it be so hard to tolerate weakness of body or character -- those of others or mine, as well? Impatience is the ego jumping in, I suppose, trying to build itself up by putting others down, or trying to gain attention for its own pitiful state. And so it seems to me that impatience is the opposite of love. Love expands the space between my impatient reaction and my heart, making room for the patient gaze of love.

2 comments:

  1. I feel sad and sorry that today I failed this test. Before the working day ended, something has pushed my 'ego button' which made me say words that I was not supposed to say. Looking back, it would me more beneficial if I just took the situation in silence. Indeed, I should be first in showing respect and understanding of other people's weaknesses. But I can only do this if, I be first in respecting and understanding my own weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blancita, our one-year-old poodle, came and laid her head gently on my lap just as I finished my meditation this morning. Did she sense that this was, probably, my calmest moment of the day? Do your four-legged creatures sense how my meeting you in silence and stillness and simplicity subtly change me, Abba? The residue of calm this morning led me to remain in stillness and gently pet her. Maybe that’s an image of the “Good Spirit” Benedict writes about here. Now, how do I keep this all the way through my busy day ahead, with all your creatures, including the two-legged ones? Help me, Father.

    ReplyDelete