Monday, June 23, 2014

Chapter 19: Our approach to prayer


All of us, then, should reflect seriously on how to appear before the majesty of God in the presence of his angels. That will lead us to make sure that, when we sing in choir, there is complete harmony between the thoughts in our mind and the meaning of the words we sing. (From Ch. 19 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB,, 1997.)

Complete harmony -- an ever greater integration of my being in the heart. This is fullness of life, at least in this life.

2 comments:

  1. Pardon me Lord, for there are times, In fact many times when I think I am not worthy to sing in your choir. But like the repentant sinner, please bless my 'starting again' each time I fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This same chapter begins with the reminder,"...the divine presence is everywhere." How easily I forget that fact and therefore fail to acknowledge Him either with praise or thanks or affirmation or conversation. How would I acknowledge a dear friend or spouse or family member who is near? Would I intentionally ignore them? And who is dearer and more loving than all of these than God? I need to constantly renew my relationship with Him in all the places and times that I find myself. "You are here, my God. Thank you for your love."

    ReplyDelete