Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Chapter 20: The ideal of true reverence in prayer


We must really be quite clear that our prayer will be heard, not because of the eloquence and length of all we have to say, but because of the heartfelt repentance and openness of our hearts to the Lord whom we approach. (From Ch. 20 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

And so does meditation teach me to be humble and open. But what I am also learning is the power of intercessory prayer -- of saying clearly and intentionally, to those I trust, how I need to be held in prayer. In this way I discover another communal aspect of prayer -- the prayer of sharing each other's burdens.

3 comments:

  1. Chronic physical pain screams for my attention today, Lord, especially, it seems, when I attempt to meditate. Faithful, deliberate repetition of the mantra allows me, even here, to be with you in your moment, in silence and stillness and simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lord, like a flower that opens its petals to receive the freshness of the rain, bless my heart's openness to your grace and your love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are moments, many of them, when I am only physically present in prayer. My mind is preoccupied with thoughts and lots of them. I "see" that image of myself, and all of us. as I sit before the gentle and loving Father with whatever preoccupies me at that moment, be it my physical unwell-being, or family worries but I am happy to be near Him and in the end He is happy to have me/us near Him who is the center of my being and who knows what I want, "before ever a word is on my tongue."(psalm 138) "As a father is gentle with his children, so is the Lord with those who revere him."(antiphon from today's Vigils)

    ReplyDelete