Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 12)


The fifth step of humility is that we should not cover up but humbly confess to our superior or spiritual guide whatever evil thoughts come into our minds and the evil deeds we have done in secret. (From para. 12 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

The spirit of humble confession helps to dissolve my false self. It makes me more transparent. It makes me less susceptible to self-deception and depression.

1 comment:

  1. “I am as sick as my secrets,” goes the oft-repeated adage. I am immediately reminded of how mentally ill I now know I was in my youth when I shared with, confessed to, no one, my inner battles with depression, anxiety and panic attacks. Somewhere I had learned that I had to deal with these emotions and inner turmoil on my own, including my suicidal thoughts. What a relief, what a grace, when I finally was able to give up trying to figure myself out on my own. I confessed my secrets, even things I had thought would go with me to my grave. How wonderful, Divine Physician, that you did not come to save the well who do not need you, but the sick, like me.

    ReplyDelete