Sunday, June 1, 2014

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 9)


The third step of humility is to submit oneself out of love of God to whatever obedience under a superior may require of us; it is the example of the Lord himself that we follow in this way, as we know from St Paul's words: he was made obedient even unto death. (Para. 9 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

For me, this is an absolute directive to listen, not to my will, nor even to my ideas about what I think is right, but to the Teacher Within, and thus to learn the way.

2 comments:

  1. “The will of God is what remains of a situation after we try without stint and pray without ceasing to change it.” (Joan Chittister, “Daily Reading from the Rule of Benedict”). Part of me has always feared honesty, that is, the humility of admitting who and how I really am. Your will for me today, Abba, is what “remains” of me now, at this present moment, after I have tried and prayed without ceasing to change my attitude, my behavior and my choices. Your will for me is your love for me. Your will be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Little child", John calls me in his letter, 1 John 3 :18, in today's readings. He urges me to "love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action." In obedience to the Will of the Father, Christ remained silent before his accusers and died on the cross for love. I can follow by not making profound statements and trying to show my knowledge, but rather quietly loving through serving. The struggle for power and control fizzles when my ego has to remain silent and the energy is dissolved through serving action.

    ReplyDelete