Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Chapter 35: Weekly servers in the kitchen and at table (paragraphs 3-4)


One hour before the time of a meal those serving in the kitchen and at table should each receive a drink and some bread in addition to their regular portion. This will help them to serve the community at mealtime without stress and without murmuring about their lot.
(From para. 3 of Ch. 35 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I'm not surprised that St Benedict instructs me to serve the server, and to do what I can to mitigate the server's stress. But how am I to deter someone else's murmuring, someone else's complaining who wants to complain? I can't control it. But I can give someone an opportunity to experience the loving-kindness of mutual concern. I can also check my own attitude, to avoiding judging or misperceiving another.

1 comment:

  1. "Incline unto my aid, O God;
    O Lord, make haste to help me." May this be my prayer each time I think and lift my hands to work...

    ReplyDelete