Friday, March 23, 2018

Chapter 43: Late-comers for the work of God or in the refectory (paragraphs 4-5)


In the refectory all must come to table together so as to offer their grace together as one community. (From para. 4 of Ch. 43 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I am suddenly seeing that "saying grace" is not only a free act, but that grace itself is also freely given gift of the Spirit. The same word is used to describe a prayer of thanks and also unmerited fullness of life. To me grace suddenly takes on the aspect of relationship between the one who says thank you and the One who gives all. No wonder, then, that Benedict calls the whole community together for this dynamic event.

1 comment:

  1. "let him receive nothing whatever
    until he has made proper satisfaction." What if the goodness that I enjoy stopped each time I sin? Maybe I will hasten to make amends. But even if the grace of God continually flows in my life it is not a reason for me to be complacent

    ReplyDelete