Sunday, March 25, 2018

Chapter 45: Mistakes in the Oratory


Anyone who makes a mistake in a psalm, responsory, antiphon or reading must have the humility to make immediate reparation there before all the community in the oratory. A failure to do that so clearly shows lack of the humility to put right a fault which was due to carelessness that it must incur a more severe punishment. (From Ch. 45 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I think about how my distracted state of mind  -- a lack of attention -- interferes with meditation or other work I do.  But am I alert to how my distracted state of mind makes a difference to those around me?

1 comment:

  1. "But if the sin-sickness of the soul is a hidden one,
    let her reveal it only to the Abbess or to a spiritual mother, who knows how to cure her own and others' wounds" It is freeing when there is someone who understands and helps us pray to overcome our weakness. This is to me how important a spiritual director or guide is. Someone who not only guides but journeys towards healing and finding oneself.

    ReplyDelete