Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chapter 18: The order for reciting the psalms (paragraphs 4-6)


After all, we read that our holy Fathers had the energy to fulfil in one single day what we in our lukewarm devotion only aspire to complete in a whole week. (From para. 6 of Ch. 18 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

In today's gospel, "Jesus said to his disciples: 'I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!'" (Lk 12:49).  Somewhere between the lukewarm and the blazing I settle down each day in my spiritual practice of meditation, confident that I'm welcome in all my insufficiencies, confident that God's grace is sufficient.

1 comment:

  1. How can I live my day with God responding to His loving me and to my living more deeply with Him? One way Benedict shows me is to live and love and dialogue with God through the rich panorama of the Psalms. I can cry,rejoice,beg,repent, exclaim and thank my way through life each day with a God who waits for me to open my heart and mouth to the wonders of His love.

    ReplyDelete