Friday, October 25, 2013

Chapter 19: Our approach to prayer


That will lead us to make sure that, when we sing in choir, there is complete harmony between the thoughts in our mind and the meaning of the words we sing. (From Ch. 19 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Although I say the mantra to let go of thoughts, even thoughts about God, I'm sure that St. Benedict's deeper meaning is to align my total being with the presence of God. The mantra acts like a harmonic that beckons my scattered mind into my heart and into silence, where Spirit dwells.  This is where I can come into harmony with myself, with God, with all of creation.

1 comment:

  1. "Serve the Holy One with reverence." In prayer, and in daily life, this gentle injunction reminds me to keep my heart pure of self. In prayer the meditation centers me in the heart with the mantra from which all action in life flows. I serve God by giving Him first place in prayer and meditation and I serve Him in others by giving others first place. There lies the reverence. There lies the harmony. No conflict when the self gives way to God.

    ReplyDelete