Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 17)


The tenth step of humility teaches that we should not be given to empty laughter on every least occasion because: a fool's voice is for ever raised in laughter. (From para. 17 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Empty laughter must be laughter that is devoid of the spirit of love or joy or hilaritas (cheerfulness, merriment, good humor).  Wise laughter must come from a realized heart.

1 comment:

  1. Each step on the "ladder" of humility is slippery or sticky, whichever way I want to look at it. Pay attention, Benedict reminds me, at every step and watch yourself. Why am I laughing? Is it at someone else's expense or foolishness or missteps or mistakes or looks ? Do I laugh because someone else is being laughed at and I am joining in? Could it be a political figure and I am trying to be politically relevant? Be careful who I make my as my scapegoats because they can fall off their pedestals quickly and I will find myself laughing-in delight? Could I really be that callous? Full consciousness of Christ brings compassion to all situations.

    ReplyDelete