Saturday, October 26, 2013

Chapter 20: The ideal of true reverence in prayer


When we come, then, with our requests in prayer before the Lord, who is God of all creation, is it not all the more important that we should approach him in a spirit of real humility and a devotion that is open to him alone and free from distracting thoughts? We really must be quite clear that our prayer will be heard, not because of the eloquence and length of all we have to say, but because of the heartfelt repentance and openness of our hearts to the Lord whom we approach. (From Ch. 3 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Humility, freedom from distracting thoughts, heartfelt repentance, openness of heart -- all seem to me to be in tune with the grand poverty of the mantra.  God "hears" my prayer not because of what I have to say, but because of how I dispose myself to his presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment