Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 10-11)


The fourth step of humility is to go even further than this by readily accepting in patient and silent endurance, without thought of giving up or avoiding the issue, any hard and demanding things that may come our way in the course of that obedience, even if they include harsh impositionss which are unjust. (From para. 10 of Ch. 7. of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I think there's a lesson for me in family and community living in Benedict's words.  Perhaps I should understand "readily accepting in patient and silent endurance" as "being patient enough to return to my silent source".  If I respond to the hard demands of relationships this way,  I may be able to respond positively, in the spirit of peace.

1 comment:

  1. In the commentary on psalm 118 by Saint Ambrose from the Office of Readings for October 9, he says ,"As there are many kinds of persecution, so there are many kinds of martyrdom. Every day you are a witness to Christ." I can be a martyr for Christ and a witness without words in my defense in the face of contradictions. I can be a martyr for Christ in "unfavorable, difficult, or even unjust conditions." Benedict and Ambrose remind me to look with the eyes of Christ in all situations and then I can follow in Christ's humble footsteps .

    ReplyDelete