Monday, October 7, 2013

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 16)


The ninth step of humility leads us to refrain from unnecessary speech and to guard our silence by not speaking till addressed. (From para. 16 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Before I speak, I can check my intentions: is there reaction, resentment, or perhaps an attempt to control another, in my words? That pause can become a holy pause in which I make sure my words come from a compassionate heart.

1 comment:

  1. John Main instructs me in his daily reflection for today (October 18) to "remain deeply silent" and that in meditation, " the faithful recitation of the mantra is the way." Once the mantra takes hold of me, and my breath, mind and heart repeat it, the possibility of being silent in conversations becomes a reality and speech can become fruitful. By fruitful, I mean loving. I have to watch out for laziness or lack of attention, however, and will this to happen,that is, to invite the Spirit of Christ through the mantra to be present in my conversations and all my relationships.

    ReplyDelete