Sunday, March 9, 2014

Chapter 31: The qualities required by the cellarer (paragraphs 2-3)


Among the most important qualities the cellarer needs to cultivate is humility and the ability to give a pleasant answer even when a request must be refused. (From para. 2 of Ch. 31 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Benedict pegs a pleasant manner to humility. To me, this is a kindness born of true self-knowledge, not of a selfish desire (or fear) to please. I pray that my manners may be ever more sincerely rooted in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Humility and simple kindness, even and especially when I have to say “no”. Those “simple acts of kindness” again!--John Main’s gentle prescription for the best way for me to prepare for my times of meditation, and, also, of course, my best preparation for all the challenges each day will bring.

    ReplyDelete