Saturday, March 29, 2014

Chapter 48: Daily manual labor (paragraphs 3-5)


As a  special provision during these days of Lent each member of the community is to be given a book from the library to read thoroughly each day in a regular and conscientious way. (From para. 4 of Ch. 48 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I'm interested in Benedict's Lenten directions to have only one book, and to read it daily in a regular and conscientious way. For me, this would be a form of fasting, accustomed as I am to dipping freely into books and the internet. It would also be a form of lectio that would bring my disciplined and selfless attention to the book. Meditation teaches me that I can bring these qualities, even beyond Lent, to every single aspect of my life.

2 comments:

  1. "a book ... to read thoroughly each day in a regular and conscientious way." I decided to do three things regularly and conscientiously this lent ... to read the Word, to be conscious and mindful of nature and to be attentive to the voice of my spirit. But it seems that I am backsliding in my commitment for the past few days. This part of the Rule is reminding me to go back and start afresh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert Louis Stevenson described his books as “circular letters to my friends.” What a great way for me to think of the Scriptures: letters from my Friend, from you, Abba--love letters. What a great way to look at every book or written comment by the human authors of Scripture and by John Main or Laurence Freeman or by each of these blog commentators. All these labors of love warm my heart. They all inspire me to want to respond in kind. So I get to make this, my tiny reflection on the rule, a small love note to my friends, fellow Oblates, most of whom I do not yet know and probably never will get to know personally. Teach me, Abba, how to do this manual labor of writing with wholehearted love.

    ReplyDelete