Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraph 1)


Anyone who aspires as abbot or abbess to be superior of a monastery should always remember what is meant by the title and fulfil in their monastic life all that is required in one holding the office of monastic superior. (From para. 1 of Ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

It seems to me that holding an office can be done in an "official" or even "officious" way, but what's really required of me, in the office of parent, teacher, caregiver, friend, is to be authentic. Being authentic rules out being "superior" in the egoic sense. Truly caring for others requires a recognition of my own inherent frailties, and thus a compassion towards those of others. Being open to reality in this way can provide a stable base for growth. 

1 comment:

  1. "The Abbot who is worthy to be over a monastery, ought always to be mindful of what he is called, and make his works square with his name of Superior."
    “You have received the spirit of adoption of sons, whereby we cry Abba (Father).”
    Abba, you have called me to be an abbot, an "abba", a parent and a grandparent, and , now, at eighty, an "elder". Never let me forget it is you I want my day today to square with. Teach me to love as you do.

    ReplyDelete