Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Chapter 3: Calling the community together for consultation (paragraph 1)


The community themselves should be careful to offer their advice with due deference and respect, avoiding an obstinate defence of their own convictions. (From para. 1 of Ch. 3 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I think assumptions and self-defense rule many conversations, even subtly between friends. Email and texting can make it exponentially worse. Meditation teaches me to recognize the control tactics of my ego, especially the habit of the sarcastic riposte. May I truly learn to express the deference, respect and self-control that spring from the compassionate heart. 

1 comment:

  1. Benedict insists on including and respecting the input of the youngest and the littlest of the community. That’s me, Abba, whom he’s writing about. At least I feel that way. He says you can use me, just as I am, no matter how insignificant or imperfect I may feel. And thus he inspires me to confront my prideful perfectionism and write this comment.

    ReplyDelete