Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 4)


What gentler encouragement could we have, my dear brothers and sisters, than that word from the Lord calling us to himself in such a way! We can see with what loving concern the Lord points out to us the path of life. (From para. 4 of Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I'm struck by Benedict's choice of the words "gentle" and "loving", because, as a teacher of meditation, those are two words I rely on to encourage people to say the mantra without harshness or force. The mantra is a word calling me to the Lord. Say the mantra gently and lovingly, the way the Lord points out to me the path of life.

1 comment:

  1. “Listen!” “Wake up!” Open my ears, Abba. Open my eyes. Open my heart to you, now, here, within me.

    ReplyDelete