Thursday, May 4, 2017

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 5)


And so now to prepare ourselves for the journey before us let us renew our faith and set ourselves high standards by which to lead our lives. (From para. 5 of Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

A high standard that I can't ignore is to open myself to Christ's teaching to live in the here and now. How would suffering, for instance, be transformed, if I encountered it without grief for the past and fear for the future? What would break through in the now?

2 comments:

  1. Good News! Glad Tidings! You invite me one more time, Abba, today, now, to stop and listen for the Good News in the midst of this cacophonous bad news, “faith-deficient society” (John Main’s term). Once again, open my ears, Father. Open my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the crutches on which we have relied are taken away and we realise that we haven't fallen, we realise that we are standing taller than we could ever have imagined. For this is when Deep calls onto Deep.

    ReplyDelete