Sunday, May 28, 2017

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 5)


One who follows that way finds protection at all times from sin and vice of thought, of tongue, of hand, of foot, of self-will and of disordered sensual desire, so as to lead a life that is completely open before the scrutiny of God and of his angels who watch over us from hour to hour. (From para. 5 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Benedict links forgetfulness of the presence of God (from the previous reading) with disorder. Forgetfulness is a human frailty that can close me in on on my habits of mind and behavior and lead me to disorder, to an "unconscious" life, a less-than-fully-alive life. But remembering awe at the presence of God leads me to be fully open, fully aware, fully alive.

1 comment:

  1. Angels Benedict writes about remind me of their reality all about me, Abba, and especially of my Guardian Angel. Help me to stay open to you and to them, all part of that cloud of witnesses surrounding me and all your little ones. Help me remain little, your child.

    ReplyDelete