Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Chapter 34: Fair provision for the needs of all


This principle from Scripture should be established in the monastery, namely that distribution was made to each in accordance with their needs. This, however, should not be taken to mean that favouritism of individuals can be tolerated; far from it. It should simply be a way of showing proper consideration for needs arising from individual weakness. (From Ch. 34 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I think what St Benedict describes here is a just society, the Gospel vision of "fairness" which actually puts the weakest members of society at the center. This vision is so radical, and so rare, though I've seen it lived out in l'Arche communities for the intellectually handicapped. What I find amazing is that this compassion for the weakness of others leads to recognition of my own weaknesses, as well as strengths in myself and others where I didn't expect to find them. So, it seems to me that living in this Gospel vision creates relationships that are radically fair and transformative.

No comments:

Post a Comment