Thursday, July 20, 2017

Chapter 41: The times for community meals


The principle is that the superior should manage everything so prudently that the saving work of grace may be accomplished in the community and whatever duties the community undertakes they may be carried out without any excuse for murmuring. (From para. 1 of Ch. 41 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

One of the fruits of meditation is, for me, the growing discernment about what is "the saving work of grace" that will order each of my moments. Such grace seems to be "other-centered". Trusting in this experience, I learn to let go of the self-talk that is only points me back towards myself and my own ego.

1 comment:

  1. “ . . . the best analogy for [meditation] is the analogy of falling in love.” (John Main, “The Door to Silence”. Abba, “ . . . God is most of all to be found in doing common things with uncommon conscientiousness.” (Joan Chittister). Abba, who would have thought that brushing my teeth or watering a plant or rocking my grandbaby or writing this comment are best ways to keep falling in love with and meeting you!

    ReplyDelete