Friday, July 14, 2017

Chapter 35: Weekly servers in the kitchen and at table (paragraphs 3-4)


One hour before the time of a meal those serving in the kitchen and at table should each receive a drink and some bread in addition to their regular portion. This will help them to serve the community at mealtime without stress and without murmuring about their lot. (From para. 3 of Ch. 35 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

This paragraph reminds me of Benedict's teaching, elsewhere in the Rule, for the brothers to be the first to show respect for each other. Here, his instructions are simply to serve the server. Living in this way seems to me to be a down-to-earth realization of other-centeredness.

1 comment:


  1. Benedict reminds me never to forget to serve the servants. Help me, today, Abba, to be of loving, humble, service to my spouse and my grown children, as they serve their own children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete