Saturday, July 29, 2017

Chapter 48: Daily manual labor (paragraphs 3-5)


As a special provision during these days of Lent each member of the community is to be given a book from the library to read thoroughly each day in a regular and conscientious way. (From para. 4 of Ch. 48 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I have to acknowledge that, with all of my personal independence at this stage of my life, I am often very distracted, and with no one else to blame for my "semi-conscientious" ways. I say that as if I think that after all these years of meditation I would be a bit more focussed! Maybe I am, or maybe I'm better at recognizing my distraction. Maybe I 'm better at accepting distraction as part of the human condition. Maybe I'm kinder with myself about it.

1 comment:

  1. “Their weakness must be taken into consideration by the Abbess.”
    Benedict here reminds me of Dorothy Day’s challenge: “we love God as much as we love the one we love least . . . “. Abba, increase my love. Make it unconditional and considerate, as is your love for me, with all my weakness.

    ReplyDelete