Friday, July 21, 2017

Chapter 42: The great silence after Compline


Silence should be sought at all times by monks and nuns and this is especially important for them at night time. (From para. 1 of Ch. 42 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

With exterior silence, I can still drum up a great deal of fantasy, confusion, suffering. Sometimes my urge to rest in disconsolation is strong. What I know from my own experience is that true silence is an interior knowing that I am always at rest in God. I must remember to turn more and more toward that stillness.

2 comments:

  1. "Open our hearts to the silent presence of the Spirit of your Son. Lead us into that mysterious silence where your love is revealed to all who call." I love this, John Main’s simple prayer before meditation. Open me, Abba. Lead me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My world was too busy and noisy for the past few weeks that I thirst for silence. Indeed, my heart is restless until I rest in you.

    ReplyDelete