Sunday, July 23, 2017

Chapter 43: Late-comers for the work of God or in the refectory (paragraphs 4-5)


In the refectory all must come to table together so as to offer their grace together as one community. Any, therefore, who through carelessness or some other personal fault do not arrive in the refectory in time for grace should simply be corrected until after the second occurrence of this failure. (From para. 4 of Ch. 43 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Food, thanksgiving, community. Benedict reinforces the shared humanity and community of mealtimes, and, for me, this experience itself is a grace. However, in my life and, so it seems, in the culture, this communal experience has become rare. So I must remember in the moment of grace before meals how I am connected to all creation.

1 comment:

  1. At first I thought this is not applicable for me who lives solo, but on deeper reflection I realized how I need to return to the habit of eating on regular times. It will not only do good to my body but also to my soul who prays a prayer of Thanksgiving at mealtime.

    ReplyDelete