Thursday, January 9, 2014

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraph 1)


Far from it, everything he or she commands or teaches should be like a leaven of the holiness that comes from God infused into the minds of their disciples. (From para. 1 of Ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

May I think less of myself, and be more mindful of my influence on the well-being of others. May my own mind be transformed into the mind of Christ by the leaven of meditation.

2 comments:

  1. “You have received a Spirit of adoption…,by virtue of which we cry, ‘Abba … Father” (Rom.*:15)! For the greatest gift I receive from the Lord, the Spirit of adoption, I guess the only appropriate response is gratefulness… and the recognition of the gift in meditation … connecting to the Spirit I unceasingly cry out … Maranatha, Come Lord Jesus... Jesus...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The term “abbott” or “abbess” comes from the Aramaic “abba”which means “daddy”, “papa” (or “mommy”, “mama”). That’s how Jesus addressed his Father and how he and St. Paul suggest that I, in turn, do so. “You have received a Spirit of adoption . . . by virtue of which we call ‘Abba’--‘Father’.” (Romans 8:15). So, Abba/Amma, Mommy/Daddy God, how can I be afraid of anything when I remember I rest, your adopted child, in your arms or under those mother-hen wings Jesus owned for Himself. Perfect love does cast out fear! Perfect my love, here, today, now.

    ReplyDelete