Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraph 7)


It is the task of the superiors to adapt with sympathetic understanding to the needs of each so that they may not only avoid any loss but even have the joy of increasing the number of good sheep in the flock committed to them. (From para. 7 of Ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I think this says something about creating community.  Sympathetic understanding could easily be superficial unless it's grounded in true self-knowledge.  True self-knowledge is an attractive power -- a unifying power of the Spirit -- that calls out to others who also desire union with their Source.

2 comments:

  1. “The Abbess should always remember what she is and what she is called, and should know that to whom more is committed, from her more is required (Luke 12:48).” Each moment, I need to desire to see clearly the essence of my being, my mission in this earthly life. I maybe a slow learner along this line, but I should be reminded that I need to be a good steward of my gifts … like the family and friends He blesses me with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “To vary with the circumstances may be the genius of the entire Rule of Benedict. . . . [It] does not turn people into interchangeable parts. Benedict makes it quite plain: people don’t all learn the same way; they don’t all grow the same way; they can’t all be dealt with the same way.” (Joan Chittister, OSB, The Rule of Bendidict: Insights for the ages). In my different roles as parent, grandparent, member of an extended family, teacher, mentor, counselor I exercise greater or lesser authority over people. Lord, Spirit of love, make me a channel of peace and love and all those things St. Francis prayed for, to each and every one, today. Grant me wisdom and discernment and infinite respect for what a unique, never-to-be-duplicated, creation of yours, each and every person I in my life represents.

    ReplyDelete